ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 50% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in preparation of a doctoral dissertation in the domain ‘Distributed Intelligence’. This domain contains the following subjects: machine learning, distributed systems and efficient processing of large amounts of data.
- You will assist in the teaching activities at the department, specifically guiding the exercises of the courses taught by the members of the department in the Bachelor of Science in Engineering and the Bachelor of Science in Information Engineering Technology (e.g. Computer Programming, Software Engineering, System Programming) and in the Master of Science in Engineering and the Master of Science in Information Engineering Technology. Teaching is done both in English (Master) and in Dutch (Bachelor).
- You will assist in the internal and external services of the department.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold one of the following Master’s degrees:
- Master of Science in Computer Science Engineering;
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering;
- Master of Science in Engineering Physics;
- Master of Science in Mathematical Informatics;
- Master of Science in Mathematics;
- Master of Science in Physics and Astronomy;
- Master of Science in Information Engineering Technology
or of an equivalent degree.
The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You are interested in academic and/or project-based research and services.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is recommended.
- You have excellent teaching and communication skills.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a two-year appointment, which may be renewed twice for two years, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a junior assistant or doctoral fellow at a university within the Flemish Community, this appointment will be deducted from the maximum term of appointment, which is six years at the most according to the Codex of Higher Education.
- Your appointment will start on 1 March 2017 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3. More information is available on our website.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits can be found on our website (in Dutch)
Apply online via this application before last application date (see above). Make sure you upload the following documents:
- application letter;
- cv, including an overview of study results (merged into one file of maximum 5 MB);
- a transcript of the required degree;
- for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if you already have it).
We do not accept applications that are sent by e-mail or applications that lack (one of) the above-mentioned documents.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Bart Dhoedt (email@example.com).