→ Apply until 05/02/2019 23:59 CET
→ Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
→ Department DI10 - Surgery and anaesthesiology of domestic animals
→ AAP temporary appointment - 100%
→ Number of openings: 1
→ Reference number: 201812/DI10/A/009
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 50% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in preparation of a doctoral dissertation. The research topic will be within the domain of equine dentistry.
- Contribute to distributing scientific knowledge on surgery in large animals through means of writing research papers and giving lectures on scientific congresses, at continuing education events or through other organisations.
- You will assist in the clinical teaching activities at the department, specifically on surgical diseases and surgery techniques.
- You will be responsible for counseling master students during practical exercises, clinical activities and preparing their master's thesis.
- You will assist in the internal and external surgery services of the department. This also includes running evening, night and weekend duties following a rotational schedule.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a degree of Master in Veterinary Medicine.
For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You are interested in academic and/or project-based research and services.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is recommended.
- You have excellent teaching and communication skills.
- Excellent study results as well as mastering the languages Dutch, French and English (spoken en written) are considered a good reference.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a two-year appointment, which may be renewed twice for two years, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a junior assistant or doctoral fellow at a university within the Flemish Community, this appointment will be deducted from the maximum term of appointment, which is six years at the most according to the Codex of Higher Education.
- Your appointment will start on 18 February 2019 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc.
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via http://www.naricvlaanderen.be/en ).
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Lieven Vlaminck (lieven.vlaminck@UGent.be, +32 9 264 76 18).