Department : Department of Transport and Regional Economics
Regime : Full-time
The Department of Transport and Regional Economics in the Faculty of Business and Economics has the following full-time vacancy:
Senior academic staff in the field of maritime transport economics
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education, research and services. Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the field of maritime transport economics.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes. The courses you will start teaching: maritieme en haveneconomie, operationele aspecten van het maritieme vervoer, martime economics and business, maritieme supply chains, business environment, Antwerp inland navigation school and Antwerp rail school, both within master's programmes of the Faculty of FBE and advanced master's programmes within C-MAT, inclusive executive programs (AMS).
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Master dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the field of maritime transport economics. You need to demonstrate the innovative character and the connection / added value of your research to the current lines of research of the research group. The research group attaches great importance to collaboration (both within and outside the research group) and social valorisation.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in in the field of transport economics or any other relevant field.
- Because of the necessary research expertise, leadership competencies, and the importance of sufficient teaching experience, this vacancy is preferably aimed at academics with experience as assistant professor.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies. You have established in the field of maritime transport economics an excellent research portfolio including: (1) publications in relevant national and international scientific journals and peer-reviewed books, (2) participation in relevant scientific conferences (presentations and/or organization) and (3) (acquiring) relevant external research resources (national, European, public and/or private).
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Because of the necessary research expertise, leadership skills, and the importance of sufficient teaching experience, this vacancy is preferably aimed at academics with experience at the level of assistant professor.
- You have methodological competences that contribute to the department's research and to education, including transport market analysis techniques.
- You have teaching experience in the broad domain of maritime transport economics.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the senior academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (lecturer, senior lecturer, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track lecturer for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as a senior lecturer. Appointment as a senior lecturer or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff.
- The planned start date is 15th September 2021.
- You will do most of your work at City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 25 January 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. dr. Ann Verhetsel, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.