Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Communication Studies in the Faculty of Social Sciences has the following full-time vacancy:
senior academic staff in the field of Visual and Digital Cultures and Methods.
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and service (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality teaching in the area of Visual and Digital Cultures and Methods.
- Your teaching role will develop along the need of the study programme. At the start of your position courses you will teach: Visual Aesthetics and Analysis (Master, 6 credits), Photography and Intermediality (Master, 6 credits), The Documentary Image (Master, 6 credits) and on specific years the Leeronderzoek (teaching and supervision within a student research project at bachelor’s level, 12 credits).
- You will play a key role in developing student-centred and competence-driven courses, workshops and other activities.
- You will supervise students at Bachelor and Master’s level.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the area of visual and digital cultures and methods.
- You will become a member of the research group ViDi (Visual and Digital Cultures Research Centre).
- You will participate in ongoing and initiate new research endeavours and projects.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international peer-reviewed journals within your field and books with renowned publishers.
- You will develop/expand international scientific networks and actively participate in international conferences.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees and are active in Science communication
Organisation and leadership
- You are expected to coordinate responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or services and you will contribute to policy design.
- You are expected to have a motivating leadership style and to be attentive to your employees’ and collaborators’ growth and development.
- You hold a PhD in a field related to the area of visual and digital cultures and methods.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies. You have established an excellent research portfolio including leading publications in the field of visual and digital cultures and methods.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the senior academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (lecturer, senior lecturer, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track lecturer for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as a senior lecturer. Appointment as a senior lecturer or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2022.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus, located in Antwerp’s city centre, in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 28th February 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV, (4) a three-pages long research plan that addresses also the way in which you will integrate with the activities of ViDi, (5) a course content proposal for Visual Aesthetics and Analysis; Photography and Intermediality; The documentary image.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following data: May 6, 2022 (sample lesson, which may be accessible to public) and May 18, 2022 (interview).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Philippe Meers, email@example.com and prof. dr. Paolo SH Favero firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply