Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Economics in the Faculty of Business and Economics has the following full-time vacancy:
Tenured senior academic staff in the field of Economic Policy
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education, research and services. Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the bachelor’s and /or master’s programs of the Faculty of Business and Economics (the first two years 18 ECTS credits; from the third year on 24 ECTS credits).
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You expand high-quality scientific research in your field of specialization and / or team up with the already existing expertise at the Department of Economics.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals in your field of expertise.
- You will develop/or have already developed an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally.
- You will gradually take up administrative and managerial responsibilities within the Department of Economics and the Faculty of Business and Economics.
- You hold a PhD in Economics (or equivalent).
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- The planned start date is September 15, 2022.
- You will do most of your work at the City campus of the University of Antwerp in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You have to apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform. This is possible up to and including November 30 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV and 2 names for your references.
- You also have to apply to European Job Market before the deadline of November 30 2021. The Faculty of Business and Economics takes part in European Job Market as a recruiter. European Job Market takes place from 15-18 December 2021 in Barcelona, at the University of Barcelona School of Economics. All interviews will be done on the EJM. If you are not able to be there, online interviews will be possible as well.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. The candidates who are selected for the shortlist will be invited for flyouts in the second half of January. Apart from a research seminar at the Department of Economics, there will also be an interview with the selection committee appointed by the University. Specific dates will be provided later on.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact:
- Prof. dr. Jacques Vanneste, chairperson Department of Economics email@example.com or Prof. dr. Bruno De Borger, vice-chairperson Department of Economics, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.